Quick Search (Advanced)
Browse Bands: Heavy Metal | Speed/Power/Progressive Metal | Thrash Metal | Black Metal | Death Metal | Doom Metal | Miscellaneous

Quick Reply  Post Reply 
Amazon.com Discogs eBay YouTube

Voivod (CA)

08-11-2017, 09:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2017 09:09 PM by Dudemanguy.)
Voivod are one of the most beloved acts from the prog/tech thrash wave in the late 80s and for very good reason. They originally started off as some rather punky thrash metal, but would later evolve into a sort of progressive metal. Piggy (RIP) was noted for his heavy usage of strange guitar chords and dissonance which really helped to give the band a unique character. I think the popular consensus is that the band's peak genius culminated in the three album streak of Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, and Nothingface. For me, Nothingface is my favorite out of those, but they are all incredible albums.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2017, 09:13 PM
Early Voivod is really good. War and Pain through Killing Technology are my personal picks. Thanks for reminding me that they were due a thread!

Forum Rules | Country Abbreviations Reference | Bandcamp & SoundCloud Codes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2017, 09:15 PM
Blacky really shines in Nothingface with that killer bass tone. And you know me, I'm a sucker for that stuff. Tongue
08-11-2017, 09:21 PM
I actually still have that one on cassette. I should listen to it again. Been a long time. Tongue

Forum Rules | Country Abbreviations Reference | Bandcamp & SoundCloud Codes
08-12-2017, 01:27 AM
Voivod is one of those band that i could go back listen to on my spare time because of how unique, strange the guitar sounded. War & Pain and Roooarrrrr are personally my favorite from them. Killing Technology is a good album but mostly prefer the first two albums that i mentioned. I may have to listen to some of pre-Killing Technology albums.

My band page:
Bloody Rage Bandcamp
Bloody Rage SoundCloud

My Band's Blog page:
Bloody Rage Main Site

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
08-12-2017, 03:00 AM

All I have is this demo from an awesome box set NWN put out a couple of years ago.
Various- No Speed Limit Essential Quebec Demo Tapes

FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...
08-12-2017, 09:13 PM
Voivod's one of my favorites as well, kind of a thrash Rush in terms of their progression. Their earliest work is pretty rough and obviously inspired by a particular idol of theirs (Venom for Voivod while Led Zeppelin for Rush) while they began to incorporate progressive aspects that culminate in an early masterpiece (Voivod's KT and Rush's 2112) and some quality work thereafter as the prog and other, softer elements start to dominate (DH, OL, and probably AR and Nothingface for Voivod while for Rush it's probably AFTK-MP). Eventually both bands settled into a groove where they released very listenable if not exactly inspired work. If I had to rank Voivod's albums, I think I'd go something like KT>DH>W&P>Roooarrr>The Outer Limits>Nothingface=Angel Rat>Target Earth> the rest.
Quick Reply  Post Reply 

User(s) Browsing Thread: 1 Guest(s)

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.