Quick Search (Advanced)
Browse Bands: Heavy Metal | Speed/Power/Progressive Metal | Thrash Metal | Black Metal | Death Metal | Doom Metal | Miscellaneous

Judas Priest (UK) - Firepower (March 9, 2018)
the cover art has been revealed and so is a teaser track. i don't what to say, the production sounds way better than Redeemer of Souls i can definitely say that. and as for the artwork....Screaming for Vengeance much?....eh?....lol, not bad looking though, but i don't know what the fuck it's so supposed to be...

Quote:Judas Priest have released a brief sample from their upcoming album, the band's first LP since 2014's Redeemer of SoulsFirepower will hit stores in March 2018. You can listen to 15 seconds of the title track right now above, and see the cover art below.

"It's great. This is what Priest lives for," singer Rob Halford told Vintage Rock (via Blabbermouth). "We're a hard-working metal band still making the metal 40-odd years later, thanks to our glorious metal fans around the world. So we make music now, obviously, still for our own pleasure and enjoyment, and the challenge of finding a new riff and a new melody is always very … it's a great feeling."

Halford noted that after completing the Redeemer of Souls tour, he went  right back to work with new Judas Priest guitarist Richie Faulkner writing songs for the new album.

"It's Richie's moment, really, because when we did Redeemer of Souls with Richie, obviously it was his first time with Priest as a writer, so I think it was great how Richie was coming into the band at that point, and then going through the writing experience and the world tour together really put Richie in a better place for when we went in to do Firepower— just because you learn so much in a band," Halford said. "Richie's playing is f---ing unbelievable on this album. And just the contribution, I think, as the writing team of Richie and Glenn [Tipton, guitarist] and myself. This is some of our best work — without a doubt." (Faulkner replaced original Priest guitarist K.K. Downing in 2011.)

Firepower, the band's 18th studio album, was co-produced by longtime collaborator Andy Sneap and Tom Allom. Judas Priest will be touring in support of the album, with the North American leg kicking off on March 13 in Wilkes Barre, Penn., and wrapping up on May 1 in San Antonio.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/judas-pri...er-sample/
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

http://nastymetalproductions.forcesofsteel.com/
X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
NastyMetalProdcuctions/YouTubeChannel
HeavyThrashhed/Soundcloud.com
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
It wouldn't be difficult the production to be better than Redeemer's, hehe. The song seems to be nice, very angry and powerful. As for the cover, I didn't like, too much vague and abstract.
"There ain't no way to stop us
and you'll never kill our pride
'cause it's not only music
it's a chosen way of life!"
the cover is not bad, but for the idea, it fits the title. but i do like it more than the cover for the previous album.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
Need to hear more before I decide.
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel

yeah, it's only a snippet. it's only good to hear how the production sounds but not how the rest of the record sounds in general. all i know that even for a snippet is better than the snippets for the last one.

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
I definitely need to hear more of the song, but I like what I hear. As for the cover, I like it. Looks cool.
Looks like a generic European flower metal album cover that's trying to be as cool as Primal Fear or Gamma Ray.
first full song off the upcoming album Firepower. reminds me of something either off Angel of Retribution or Made of Metal by Halford. either way, already feeling satisfied.

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
Nice to hear a full version of this song. I fucking love it. I really hope the rest of the album is at this caliber.
same here. really love the song here and (of course) really like the mixing and production job. the guitars have that nice Razor Sharp tone to 'em.

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
Oh Might pre order the vinyl on this one, haven't purchased any JP since Painkiller.

Instagram @dutch_steel

The song is alright. Definitely better than what was heard on the last two albums, but this is Judas Priest's take on typical European power metal. It may as well be an unreleased Primal Fear song. Laugh
wasn't Primal Fear always looked down as a Judas Priest clone to begin with. so it really does not matter who sounds like who, Primal Fear sounded like Painkiller era Judas Priest, Judas Priest is sounding like Primal Fear, so it's a trade off for sure, but i dig Primal Fear and i dig this track.

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
That's what I mean. I always thought Malice was the uncrowned champion of that, though. Tongue

I listened to the song all the way through. I didn't hear anything that jumped out at me, sad to say. If I was shown this song several years ago, however, I probably would've hyped it up and declared it as Judas Priest's best comeback album in ages. I'll listen to a song that sounds OK, but doesn't move me any other way. Not liking something doesn't mean I dislike it. Mediocrity annoys me far more than outright garbage, since the latter at least gives me an incentive to pass on something. When something is so mediocre, but I can get something out of it, it really puts the purchase decision in limbo.
(01-04-2018, 08:20 PM)Heavy Thrashhead Wrote: first full song off the upcoming album Firepower. reminds me of something either off Angel of Retribution or Made of Metal by Halford. either way, already feeling satisfied.

I love it...  Now Playing
well, the track listing has now been revealed and...14 songs....yikes, almost the same track listing as last album. also finding out on the MA that Bruce Dickinson does a guest vocals on "Children of the Sun"....yup. lol.

Quote:The official video for "Lightning Strike", a brand new song from JUDAS PRIEST can be seen below. The track is taken from the band's new album, "Firepower", which will be released on March 9 via Epic.

Singer Rob Halford stated about "Lightning Strike": "To me, the overall concept of this song is to use the element of a lightning strike to pull away and tear apart at an individual, at a body of people, maybe an organization, maybe an administration, that is kind of leading you, or leading us, into potentially a destructive place. You're kind of spinning that effect round, and you have the right to react and to do something about it. So that, in essence, is what this song is all about."

"You're sowing the seeds of a nightmare from hell, your friends and your demons are tolling the bell," Halford sings on the track. "Walking through fire, fate's in my hands, waiting for lightning to strike.

The British heavy metal legends spent much of 2017 in the studio recording the follow-up to 2014's "Redeemer Of Souls" with the band's longtime collaborator Tom Allom, acclaimed British knob-twiddler Andy Sneap (MEGADETH, EXODUS, TESTAMENT, ACCEPT) and engineer Mike Exeter (BLACK SABBATH).

The cover artwork for "Firepower" was created by the Chilean/Italian digital artist and photographer Claudio Bergamin.

"Firepower" track listing:

01. Firepower
02. Lightning Strike
03. Evil Never Dies
04. Never The Heroes
05. Necromancer
06. Children of the Sun
07. Guardians
08. Rising From Ruins
09. Flame Thrower
10. Spectre
11. Traitors Gate
12. No Surrender
13. Lone Wolf
14. Sea Of Red

Halford told VintageRock.com about the making of "Firepower": "We came off the 'Redeemer Of Souls' tour, had a little bit of a break, like we've always done, and then we dove straight back into the second record with Richie [Faulkner, JUDAS PRIEST guitarist]. And it's Richie's moment, really, because when we did 'Redeemer Of Souls' with Richie, obviously it was his first time with PRIEST as a writer, so I think it was great how Richie coming into the band at that point, and then going through the writing experience and the world tour together really put Richie in a better place for when we went in to do 'Firepower' — just because you learn so much in a band."

Halford added: "Richie's playing is fucking unbelievable on this album. And just the contribution, I think, as the writing team of Richie and Glenn [Tipton, JUDAS PRIEST guitarist] and myself. This is some of our best work — without a doubt."

Rob told "Trunk Nation" that collaborating again with Allom, who produced every PRIEST release from "Unleashed In The East" (1979) through "Ram It Down" (1988), along with several live records since then, has been "brilliant" and "absolutely fantastic." "Tom has a rich history with PRIEST, particularly those great moments with 'Screaming For Vengeance', 'Defenders Of The Faith' [and] 'British Steel'," he said. "My God — he's the man in that respect. So I thought it was really great for Andy Sneap and Mike Exeter to accept that this was gonna be like a three-man job, with Andy mostly holding the reins, but with Tom by his side and Mike there [as well]."

Sneap, who plays guitar in the reactivated British occult metal act HELL, told Serbia's Hardwired magazine that PRIEST's new album will contain "a really good energy and some real classic moments." He said "Rob did great" during the album's final recording sessions. "I'll tell you what: for someone who's got that much experience, there's no ego there at all," he said. "We'd do, like, six or seven passes, and I'd ask him to try something a bit [different] on this part, and he was, like, 'No problem.' And he'd give me another four takes with a slightly different vibe. And then me and Tom Allom would sit there and we'd comp it, and we pretty much agreed on everything."

The North American leg of the "Firepower" tour will kick off on March 13 in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania and will wrap on May 1 in San Antonio, Texas. Support on the trek will come from SAXON and BLACK STAR RIDERS.

Faulkner joined PRIEST in 2011 as the replacement for founding guitarist K.K. Downing.

Prior to hooking up with PRIEST, Faulkner was the guitarist in the backing band for Lauren Harris, daughter of IRON MAIDEN bassist Steve Harris.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/hear-ne...ng-strike/

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
Way too many songs for me. I've a hunch that this could very well be a better-produced reboot of Redeemer of Souls. The new song is definitely not bad, but it's too play-it-safe for me. Should the next couple of songs teased be about as good or better, then I'll consider picking this one up. Really, I'm not asking for another Screaming for Vengeance — the band never owed the fans anything — but I would like something with more edge to it.

I accept that these old bands, no matter how well they can carry on over the decades, will run out of steam at some point. I commend the bands for braving it, though — few last that long, let alone with such a loyal, enthusiastic following. They have every right to do what they want with their own music. I'm just not blinded by sheer fanboyism. My musical preferences come before the feelings of any musician. That is a fact.
I am still debating if I wanna go, part of me really wants to go, especially to see Saxon, but who knows if this could be Priest's last big tour. I doubt it, because I think they have another big run after this for them. But you never know, shit could happen.
I liked the new song, but the production still isn't as good as in the old times, unfortunately. But at least isn't bad as it was on the last album.
"There ain't no way to stop us
and you'll never kill our pride
'cause it's not only music
it's a chosen way of life!"
Another song, "Spectre", teased below:

I really dig that new Priest song...I'm glad Rob is playing to his current strengths and not trying to force the screams.

Instagram @dutch_steel

Why don't they just stick to that version? Tongue

I remember that also being done with some of the songs off Redeemer of Souls. Funny how some fans nowadays probably have a better idea of getting a nice-sounding recording than even producers themselves.
New song, this time "Firepower"

I like it, not as good as Lightning Strikes, but I dig it.
Nothing we haven't already heard before done much better by this very band, but another fine song.
(02-04-2018, 02:46 PM)Painkiller Wrote: Nothing we haven't already heard before done much better by this very band, but another fine song.

Sounds like Priest to me...which is exactly what I want it to sound like.
I'm not expecting anything new from them or most other old bands at this point, but I would agree that it's an improvement on some previous albums. Rob Halford has been sounding better lately, and his voice is at least half the reason one should ever listen to Judas Priest.
Dreadful news. Truly a magnificent guitarist.
Here comes the "It's not Judas Priest anymore" comments on Blabbermouth in 3....2....1

This fucking sucks....A badass guitarist. This is truly a damn shame. Sad
I guess to be fair, Judas Priest's core relies heavily upon not just the vocals, but also the dual guitars. I think now would be a good time for K.K. Downing to give it one more go, but he doesn't owe us anything.

As long as Glenn Tipton sticks to the much simpler songs (e.g. "Breaking the Law", "You've Got Another Thing Comin'", "Hot Rockin'") in his jams, then I think he'll be fine for the time being. The disease has a very off-the-wall progression rate, and there are people like Michael J. Fox who've been diagnosed since 1982. I think even Muhammad Ali had it for nearly forty years. So, really, not all hope is lost.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Still fucking sucks though. I agree, Would be cool to see KK Downing return for one more go, but he doesn't need to. The classic rock radio station I was listening to at work were talking about this, and brought up some good points about Glenn playing simple Priest songs, and then having someone play the more technical songs.
read this way earlier. sucks, but again it is manageable, like Painkiller brought up, Michael J. Fox has lived with it for many years, so clearly there is nothing to be worried about here, it just limits what Glenn can do on stage and this could also be the reason why Glenn feels absent on the newer material.

anyways. hope he comes back to do some of the shows at a later date.

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
So let's take a moment here and talk about Judas Priest (Might do a MWO video on this later on, but why not discuss it here?)

Obviously KK Downing is no longer in the band, and who knows if he will return for a final run, and obviously Glenn's health issues have finally taken it's toll to a point, which still sits with me a bit, and just makes things slightly shitty, because Glenn is one of the reasons why I am a fan of Judas Priest, his guitar work is fucking amazing. But with Andy Sneap being his replacement, I think that will be ok, but is Andy going to be a full time member? Or just for this tour, etc. Will we see one more album after Firepower? etc. Personally, if this is it, I totally understand, don't know if I will get to see them this time, but I can say I have seen them, and what an experience, to this day, I love talking about that concert.

So I seen this article on BlabberDickMouth, about Richie Faulkner, and it kinda sparked me to talk about the future of Judas Priest.

Quote:In a brand new interview with Revolver, Rob Halford spoke about the experience of making JUDAS PRIEST's upcoming album, "Firepower", with guitarist Richie Faulkner, who joined the band in 2011 as the replacement for K.K. Downing.
"When [Richie] came in like he did, it was like stepping into some big boots and he will always acknowledge his respect and admiration for what K.K. still means to certain songs of PRIEST," the singer said. "He came in on the 'Epitaph' tour. He was just flung into the thick of it, went out there night after night and people are going, 'Who's this new guy?' And by the end of every show, he paid his dues. 'Look up there. That's Richie Faulkner. He's in JUDAS PRIEST.' We get to know each other. We're in each other's company, 20 hours a day in the bus, on the stage, backstage, so all of that is important. And Richie's really shone through on this album and his writing contributions. He said in the 'Redeemer Of Souls' writing sessions, 'I don't want to do too much. I've got all these ideas.' I go, 'Let's hear the ideas. Richie, you're not the hired gun. You're in this band.' And so by the time we went into the 'Firepower' writing, he just felt more settled, more cemented into being in PRIEST and that's showing itself with his skill on 'Firepower'."

Halford admitted that "there was some kickback" to Faulkner coming in after Downing, just like "there was kickback when I was away and [Tim] Ripper [Owens] was holding the mic, you know. It's just there in front of your face if you want to turn the computer on and see what people are saying, thinking or feeling, can't you?" he said. "But I will say, on that side of this social platform music scene, we are treated really nice. I have friends in bands that recently are doing really, really well. And they just get tore apart on Blabbermouth or this site or that site. It's very sad, but PRIEST has been really well looked after. We've never gone for controversy. We've never done a stunt. It's always just been the music. The music's there first, so whenever those changes came around, they were for a specific important reason. Our fans understood and so it has been with the way Richie's been embraced, as he should have been."

Faulkner was once the guitarist in the backing group for Lauren Harris, daughter of IRON MAIDEN bassist Steve Harris.
Earlier this week, PRIEST announced that guitarist Glenn Tipton will sit out the band's touring activities in support of "Firepower" as a result of his battle with Parkinson's disease, with which he was diagnosed a decade ago.
Tipton, who is now 70 and has performed on every PRIEST album since the band's 1974's debut set, "Rocka Rolla", is not quitting the band, but simply cannot handle to rigorous challenges of performing live. Joining PRIEST for its upcoming dates will be the band's co-producer and HELL/ex-SABBAT guitarist Andy Sneap.

"Firepower" will be released on March 9 via Epic. The disc was recorded by Sneap, the band's longtime collaborator Tom Allom and engineer Mike Exeter (BLACK SABBATH). The cover artwork for "Firepower" was created by the Chilean/Italian digital artist and photographer Claudio Bergamin.

The North American leg of the "Firepower" tour will kick off on March 13 in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania and will wrap on May 1 in San Antonio, Texas. Support on the trek will come from SAXON and BLACK STAR RIDERS.

SOURCE: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rob-hal...iest-fans/

So it's been 8 years with Richie Faulkner, do you guys think he's doing well? Personally, I think he's doing a damn good job. He did have big shoes to fill, and I think he's impressed me. I like how he's happy where he is, but respects what KK has done, and that's cool as well, he isn't some egotistical prick (at least I don't see it) and very talented.

If Priest continues on, would this lineup work? Or do you think they should call it a day? Do you think they should get someone with a more open/flexible schedule? Me personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Andy Sneap play for Priest, but on top of that, he has his own shit going on, and of course, he has Hell, which I'd love to see continue on, it's no secret I have grown to really enjoy that band.
He sounds more like he's influenced by Zakk Wylde's playing, minus the idiotic pinch harmonics. He'd fit in well with the Halford band, but Judas Priest has always been more classical in composition. What kinda bugs me is that they keep attempting to recreate the style of Painkiller, and despite what a colossal masterpiece it is, there's far more to the band than just that one album, and their 1980s albums aren't everything, either.

I think Judas Priest has lost a sense of identity since reuniting, releasing whatever was big with the nu metal crowd at the time, and then making a "return" to the old school metal sound when Rob Halford came back. Despite what a huge influence they are on me, I'll still give my two cents, because I'm not blinded by fanboyism. I don't think everything a band craps out is worth gold. People who get defensive over an opinion on the Internet are the reason why it's difficult to have a healthy discussion.
i personally lime him, sure, you can't replace the team duo of KK and Glenn had, but because Ritchie does not have that, does it mean that it's a bad thing?...no, why does Ritchie have to sound like KK, he's not KK, but he is filling in that spot and it's usually tough for a new guy to fill in that kind those kind of shoes, so you have to either take it or leave it and i'm sure taking it.

as far as Andy goes...not bad, it is what it is. it's something that you see people get mad at when a band like Judas Priest is going to have two different guitar players that never played on the classic material, but yet, you never see anyone completely bitch about Megadeth (even though there are some that long for to see Marty come back and duel once again with Dave) lol. anyways. it's up to Ian and Rob if they want to continue on like this.

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
I'm not against Richie Faulkner or Andy Sneap playing guitar with members of Judas Priest, but I would prefer that they eventually start a new band that way or merge with Halford. That's because at this point, only Ian Hill remains as an original member, and he's far from significant. He was never as in-your-face as Steve Harris or even Geddy Lee — he mostly hangs on the root, but that's not a bad thing. Similar to what the Ronnie James Dio era of Black Sabbath eventually did in the late 2000s with Heaven & Hell, it would be cool to just start a new band to annex Judas Priest's family tree or just continue from where they left off on Firepower.

I don't want Judas Priest to become Judas Priest A.D. or JPII ("Riot V" reference).
true, Judas Priest after Firepower will probably not completely feel like Judas Priest, but, again that is up to Ian and Rob.

if anything, the Heavy & Hell (or something like that) idea is something i would rather see with AC/DC, than just Judas Priest, not to derail the thread, but that is a personal opinion there.

X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
Definitely some great points. I wouldn't mind seeing something like an annex. Similar to Heaven & Hell. I mean it would work.
Complete agreement right there. As long as Glenn Tipton is still able to play in the studio, then I'm OK with the current incarnation of Judas Priest. I just don't want to see such a legendary band turned into a glorified Halford reincarnation. I think all fans would love to have K.K. Downing back in the band, but as I've heard already, there's apparently some shit between him and Rob Halford that hasn't come out publicly. Have you noticed how he's never really specifically addressed him? He may still be on good terms with Tipton, though. Possible even Ian Hill and/or Scott Travis.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, and such situations are best for personal dealings. Kudos to everyone for taking the high road, though. Shit, even Al Atkins doesn't act like a diva over being an original member. I wouldn't want another Paul Di'Anno or Sebastian Bach to point and laugh at. Far too many clowns in the industry as it is!
(02-15-2018, 08:42 PM)Painkiller Wrote: Similar to what the Ronnie James Dio era of Black Sabbath eventually did in the late 2000s with Heaven & Hell

They only did that so they did not have to play Iron Man and Paranoid and could focus on their own era. For all intents and purposes, that was Black Sabbath.
(02-16-2018, 11:28 AM)FinalShawn Wrote: They only did that so they did not have to play Iron Man and Paranoid and could focus on their own era. For all intents and purposes, that was Black Sabbath.

Such a great album, I wish they had recorded more Mellow

Instagram @dutch_steel

(02-16-2018, 11:28 AM)FinalShawn Wrote: They only did that so they did not have to play Iron Man and Paranoid and could focus on their own era. For all intents and purposes, that was Black Sabbath.
It'd be nice to have something like that for Tony Martin, since he's still alive and can probably still belt it out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Favorite Bands Similar to Judas Priest or Accept? Painkiller 5 905 02-19-2015, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Hellish Crossfire