Quick Search (Advanced)
Browse Bands: Heavy Metal | Speed/Power/Progressive Metal | Thrash Metal | Black Metal | Death Metal | Doom Metal | Miscellaneous

Government getting rid of the Net Neutrality. Please sign this petition.

Quote:A U.S. Appeals Court just invalidated the FCC's net neutrality rules that would've made it illegal for telecom companies to favor certain types of traffic over others. The court ruled that the commission lacked the authority to implement and enforce such rules which were embedded in a complicated legal framework.

The court describes its reasoning in the ruling:

Given that the Commission has chosen to classify broadband providers in a manner that exempts them from treatment as common carriers, the Communications Act expressly prohibits the Commission from nonetheless regulating them as such. Because the Commission has failed to establish that the anti-discrimination and anti-blocking rules do not impose per se common carrier obligations, we vacate those portions of the Open Internet Order.

In other words, the FCC didn't have the authority to impose its rules because it defined broadband internet as an information service rather than a common carrier service, like telephones.

This is bad news. The ruling basically opens the door for companies like Verizon and Time Warner to cut special deals with websites to serve up their content faster. It also opens up the possibility of paid access to specific sites. Imagine the worst case scenario, where you literally have to pay an extra fee to get access to the websites you like. It's possible! At least the latest federal court ruling on Verizon's appeal to the FCC states that telecom companies have to tell subscribers which sites they're favoring.

This latest development in the years' long battle to preserve net neutrality is going to piss off a lot of people. And it should. The idea of giving preferential treatment to websites willing to pay for it means that smaller websites stand to lose out, and the very idea of competition on the internet is being essentially undermined since companies can simply buy prime placement. That said, the appeals court ruling is being largely viewed as a failure on the FCC's part for not writing the rules under a more solid legal framework.

"We're disappointed that the court came to this conclusion," said Free Press president and CEO Craig Aaron. "Its ruling means that Internet users will be pitted against the biggest phone and cable companies — and in the absence of any oversight, these companies can now block and discriminate against their customers' communications at will.

At least the FCC's still willing to fight the good fight. Chairman Tom Wheeler released this statement a few minutes after the ruling:

The D.C. Circuit has correctly held that 'Section 706 . . . vests [the Commission] with affirmative authority to enact measures encouraging the deployment of broadband infrastructure' and therefore may 'promulgate rules governing broadband providers' treatment of Internet traffic.' I am committed to maintaining our networks as engines for economic growth, test beds for innovative services and products, and channels for all forms of speech protected by the First Amendment. We will consider all available
options, including those for appeal, to ensure that these networks on which the Internet depends continue to provide a free and open platform for innovation and expression, and operate in the interest of all Americans.

Update: The White House chimed in with its own statement on Tuesday afternoon:

President Obama remains committed to an open internet, where consumers are free to choose the websites they want to visit and the online services they want to use, and where online innovators are allowed to compete on a level playing field based on the quality of their products.

As we continue to review the ruling, we remain committed to working with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Congress, and the private sector to preserve a free and open Internet.

http://gizmodo.com/federal-court-invalid...socialflow

Please put a stop to this government that is getting rid of Net Neutrality by signing one of these Petitions below:

http://act.freepress.net/sign/internet_F..._decision2

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitio...s/5CWS1M4P

http://www.savetheinternet.com/sti-home

http://www.fcc.gov/
My band page:
Bloody Rage Bandcamp
Bloody Rage SoundCloud

My Band's Blog page:
Bloody Rage Main Site

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
I put the links in the header box above. This information is really, really important to keep in mind. Everyone should sign the petition(s) provided.
It looks like the government's acting up again on this thing, so I urge everyone to consider fighting back. The link to the form is here.

Just keep signing the petition so they can reword the proposal and kill net neutrality anyway. Seeing as how bad they want it, no amount of petitions is going to stop them in the end. Best we can hope for is delaying the inevitable. And don't let me catch anyone complaining about how they'll "stop using the internet" when it finally passes. We're living in a time that can't exist without the internet, it would end up being like going without electricity or transportation. So everyone just get ready to suck that big corporate dick and thank them for the privilege.

(Petition signed. Awaiting the next incarnation of this bill)
(05-18-2014, 03:36 PM)Messiah X Wrote: Just keep signing the petition so they can reword the proposal and kill net neutrality anyway. Seeing as how bad they want it, no amount of petitions is going to stop them in the end. Best we can hope for is delaying the inevitable. And don't let me catch anyone complaining about how they'll "stop using the internet" when it finally passes. We're living in a time that can't exist without the internet, it would end up being like going without electricity or transportation. So everyone just get ready to suck that big corporate dick and thank them for the privilege.

(Petition signed. Awaiting the next incarnation of this bill)
That is somewhat true, considering we had that SOPA and PIPA bullshit back in early 2012.

Nonetheless, it's better than just sitting around and doing nothing. Some people outside of the country are thinking that this wouldn't affect them, but lots of them frequent American-based sites (e.g. Google, Facebook, YouTube). Therefore, if finally passed, it WILL affect them.
Signing petitions IS sitting around doing nothing. Get off your arse and revolt if you actually give half a fuck.
A forum without trolls is like a city without whores.

http://www.crawlingchaosproductions.com/
(05-18-2014, 07:39 PM)Vagabond Wrote: Signing petitions IS sitting around doing nothing. Get off your arse and revolt if you actually give half a fuck.
I wish I had better resources and knew the right people to make an even bigger impact with, but to make awareness of this situation IS actually being productive. Some people are incapable of putting themselves out there in the spotlight, but that doesn't mean that they don't care.
(05-18-2014, 07:39 PM)Vagabond Wrote: Signing petitions IS sitting around doing nothing. Get off your arse and revolt if you actually give half a fuck.

I can see what your saying...
The problem is that most people around me aren't aware of this or doing something about it even if you tell them what going on. Most people don't seem to care anymore as like people back then. They don't wanna even wanna protest anything these days. Irritated
My band page:
Bloody Rage Bandcamp
Bloody Rage SoundCloud

My Band's Blog page:
Bloody Rage Main Site

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
Three years later, and we're still fighting this out. I encourage everyone reading this post to take action and protect a free, open Internet.

Start by signing here. Let your voice be heard.

i submitted already. but it seems that there might be some glimmer of hope that Ajit Pai (and the FCC) could possibly face some consequences for not abiding by the law for withholding the information on the 2 Million Fake and Stolen Identities that were for repealing. all cause they don't want to halt the voting for a investigation. that's pretty much a law being broken there. i really hope that something happens. it's unprofessional on the FCC's part to act like that and withhold stuff like that. is repealing Net Neutrality that important to the point of breaking a law?...sad.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

http://nastymetalproductions.forcesofsteel.com/
X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
NastyMetalProdcuctions/YouTubeChannel
HeavyThrashhed/Soundcloud.com
well things are not looking good. the FCC just voted NO and to top it all off, Ajit Pai just hooked, line and sinkered everyone and what i mean by that is that he was allowing other people to vote but on today just turned around and spat in our face and said no to all of our votes and are just sticking with the votes that are against it. what a pussy ass piece of shit this guy is. it's all up to congress now to either pass it or flat out deny it. 2018 might be even worse, this year was kinda bad, but next year, if Net Neutrality is gone, were fucked.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

http://nastymetalproductions.forcesofsteel.com/
X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
NastyMetalProdcuctions/YouTubeChannel
HeavyThrashhed/Soundcloud.com
Goodbye, freedom.
First of all, it has to go through congress. Congress has 60 days to review it, etc. You know what is real sad about this? Everyone I see talking about it are more worried about their Youtube and social media. While I understand how that is frustrating, this effects a much bigger outlook...Jobs....actual jobs, not Youtube, or social media. It will effect businesses, because of how they want to split into tiers and have you pay more. This could effect a small business, and eventually a large business. Then you get babbling retards like Razorfist saying how it's a good thing, and it needs to be repealed.
Yeah, fuck social media and YouTube. I agree that such things are wholly insignificant, unless you're somehow disabled and can only make a living off those platforms. I'm not attacking that audience, but the self-entitled generation that acts like they should be worshiped at the ground that they stand on. People like them deserve to be charged up the ass. Fuck them.

I'm OK with discussing net neutrality for now, because it's what allowed us to comfortably make connections in the first place with forums such as this one. Nipping it at the bud could mean the end of free speech. I feel bad for what Portuguese Internet users go through nowadays.