Quick Search (Advanced)
Browse Bands: Heavy Metal | Speed/Power/Progressive Metal | Thrash Metal | Black Metal | Death Metal | Doom Metal | Miscellaneous

Forum Upgrade
Well, that dreadful day has come: the forums were upgraded today!

That means that we no longer operate using an outdated, buggy piece of forum software that the maintainers no longer support. The theme doesn't differentiate much in aesthetics from the previous one that we had, but I can guarantee you that it's a complete remake of it using a new theme. I'd done a lot of insane edits to the old theme, and as such, the upgrading process would always backfire with errors and such. It was best to just go ahead with it, since it was something that I'd been meaning to do for quite a while.

The upgrade allows for more core features, such as the ability to disable videos. It's also much smoother for the registration process, due to security tweaks.

Unfortunately, as of this typing, certain features had to be omitted — our alerts and shoutbox are currently malfunctioning with our installation, so it's going to take some time before I can get replacements in. There are icons that are missing from pages, but that's just a cosmetic effect that can be corrected. What I'm focused on right now is displaying the post editor right.

Apologies in advance to those who were hoping to browse the forums last night, as I was pressed for time, and I needed to keep everyone out for the time being while I was working on the forums. Either way, we're back, and things are looking quite nicely from over here!

P.S. If you want to help out with finding any glitches experienced after the upgrade, please direct them over to me in private, preferably with a screenshot or two, detailing the steps taken to get that result.
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
I just came in tonight and was like "What the hell??"
Whoa the text is much bigger I see. At first I thought I had it zoomed and reset the zoom option. Well I guess that's not the case.
I was wondering why the forum was down earlier.
For the most part, things are pretty functional right now.

I'm going to be working on this thing throughout the week, so we should hopefully see more improvements by then. Most of the time spent working was dedicated to the theme itself, since I needed to recreate it as faithful to the original as possible. Still a lot more testing to do, but really, I'm glad to be over the paranoia of running outdated software. Like I said, some features may not work right or otherwise just not prove to be compatible anymore, but that's OK, since it's the community that comes first.
Keep up the good work! MAKE FOS GREAT AGAIN! Big Grin
My band page:
Bloody Rage Bandcamp
Bloody Rage SoundCloud

My Band's Blog page:
Bloody Rage Main Site

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
As long as I don't wake up and see some shitty Web 3.0 crap. Tongue I think it's much better now though especially since I can disable video embeds.
so far it's seems alright. looks good. keep it up.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

http://nastymetalproductions.forcesofsteel.com/
X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
NastyMetalProdcuctions/YouTubeChannel
HeavyThrashhed/Soundcloud.com
It looks good, the text is much easier to read now Hand

I was wondering why everything looked different! Big Grin
We always dress in black to be unkind, We always dress in black
with you in mind
Yeah, the ability to disable videos really helps out a lot for those who don't have a lot of CPU or are on a monthly bandwidth cap. Likewise, images may also be disabled.

Furthermore, you are now able to receive your alerts again. Don't forget to consult your settings to be sure of your notification preferences.

I'm still weeding out the kinks, but for the most part, it's going great! Thanks for your appreciation. Hand
It looks pretty neat! Good job Painkiller! Hand
(09-12-2017, 10:34 PM)Painkiller Wrote: Yeah, the ability to disable videos really helps out a lot for those who don't have a lot of CPU or are on a monthly bandwidth cap. Likewise, images may also be disabled.

Furthermore, you are now able to receive your alerts again. Don't forget to consult your settings to be sure of your notification preferences.

I'm still weeding out the kinks, but for the most part, it's going great! Thanks for your appreciation. Hand

I just got an alert notification and I clicked on it and all it did was display a burning axe floating about???

Also when posting the buttons to add stuff images, videos etc seem to be gone???
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel

I'm still working those things out. Unfortunately, the upgrading process was a major one, so as stated earlier, it's going to take a little longer before things return to normal.

The alerts load up fine for me on my end. If in doubt, clear your browser's cached data.
Like all changes, it'll take some getting used to....but it looks good. Smile
Definitely. Give it a few weeks, and things should be back to normal soon. It was for the best, anyway. Smile
(09-13-2017, 08:12 AM)Painkiller Wrote: I'm still working those things out. Unfortunately, the upgrading process was a major one, so as stated earlier, it's going to take a little longer before things return to normal.

The alerts load up fine for me on my end. If in doubt, clear your browser's cached data.

Yup cleared Cache, must just have a coincidence that it happen at the same time as the upgrade , smiles back too Cool 

All good. Smile

Instagram @dutch_steel

What is more important is the forum is on the air, no matter how!  Hand
"There ain't no way to stop us
and you'll never kill our pride
'cause it's not only music
it's a chosen way of life!"
I do have a small complaint actually. Could the border around quotes be more pronounced/obvious (maybe white all the way around)? Quotes blend in too much with the rest of the post and it's hard to tell what's what at just a quick glance.
Sure thing. I did notice that already, but haven't yet gotten around to fixing the quotes. I'm going to be consulting the old theme's customizations for authenticity. I'd just replaced most of the post buttons, since I hate Font Awesome. Tongue
While it takes getting used to, like anything new, it looks a hell of a lot better and more modern. Great work.

Glad it's updated, this looks modern.
Cheers for commenting.

Welcome to the forums!
ONLY EZBOARD IS TROO!!!!!
Ugh, those free forum hosts were a complete nightmare to put up with. Extremely vulnerable and outdated software. From an administrator's standpoint, you certainly couldn't keep a backup of your own forums, and if some awful shit had happened, you'd better hope that the host would recover damaged data in timely fashion. Poo
I'm almost done optimizing the new theme, making it as identical to the original as possible. What's next is to replace the missing icons from certain pages.

Honestly, I'm loving the new features much more now. It's such a huge administrative task, but the upgrade process is finally over with. Just cleaning things up. I really want to make the forums look as presentable as possible, albeit without being flashy. I just like the old school look of forums, truthfully...
there seems to be an issue with Bandcamp codes. posts that uses Bandcamp embeds won't show up.
Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

http://nastymetalproductions.forcesofsteel.com/
X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
NastyMetalProdcuctions/YouTubeChannel
HeavyThrashhed/Soundcloud.com
Is that so? Well, let me take a look into it and get back to you.
When replying to posts the bar with the icons on it, images etc is gone again and the font is crazy on the quotes too.

Instagram @dutch_steel

For images, use this:
Code:
[img]URL[/img]
For all other common BBCodes, check here.

I asked a staff member from the official support forums to look into the issue. It looks like a Javascript-related issue that's conflicting. Rest assured that we'll get this sorted out as soon as possible.
(09-19-2017, 02:04 PM)Painkiller Wrote: For images, use this:
Code:
[img]URL[/img]
For all other common BBCodes, check here.

I asked a staff member from the official support forums to look into the issue. It looks like a Javascript-related issue that's conflicting. Rest assured that we'll get this sorted out as soon as possible.

Thanks man I know you are doing your best Smile

Instagram @dutch_steel

The shoutbox is back, but I had to use a different plugin to keep up with the current version, so the previous shouts probably won't be accessible again.

I'm still trying to get the hang of the post editor conflicting, but at least the default that you go into when you reply to a thread or start a new one will display those buttons for you.

Not sure about Bandcamp or SoundCloud, though. To be quite honest, I'm probably just going to leave it that way, since there are code conflicts. Fortunately, YouTube playlists still work. Hand
Code:
[ytplaylist]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=#
Also, for those of you who haven't done so yet, I'd highly recommend changing your passwords. Security is a huge concern nowadays, and it's always a good idea to use a complex, unique password that you can either memorize or securely retrieve from an encrypted source. I've set it so that you can go up to 200 characters. I may even implement a two-factor authentication solution for mobile users.

Finally, I'd recommend installing a stable plugins for your browsers that enforce HTTPS, if applicable. A really good one is HTTPS Everywhere, and it spans a few mainstream browsers that are commonly used nowadays. Combine that with a good VPN provider, and you're all set.
So far, so good. The forums have been largely restored to how they once were. The default post editor seems to work in our favor, although for those of you copying information directly from the source, keep in mind that WYSIWYG mode can be a pain in the ass for proper formatting, so kindly switch to source mode to review your codes. Careful not to use colors that blend with the background.

You should be able to see whether or not you're editing in source mode or WYSIWYG mode, just as your text displays.

This is WYSIWYG mode:
Quote:Bold text.
This is source mode:
Code:
[b]Bold[/b] text.
Like I said, it's a very meticulous process that can take quite a while to refine. One thing that I'm grateful for is the ability to receive alerts again.

Right now, finding some other way to display thanks given to posts. There's a plugin that we could try for that, but we'd have to start all over with that, and I'd rather not discard all those years of gratitude. You should still be able to thank people, and they'll get the alerts.
Approximately one hour after this post, the forums will be taken offline for further maintenance. You will be notified of this during the process, should you try to access.
OK, the upgrade process is finished. There are a couple of cosmetic errors that occurred, but I will patch them up as soon as possible. One of those aforementioned cosmetic errors is when you're checking for recent alerts, and nothing shows up. If you see an icon to your right, click that to exit it, and you can scroll the page again.

The forums should be stable enough to use again, anyway. As always, do report any other problems that are experienced after this upgrade. It's a major one from our software provider, too.
What were the upgrades I haven't noticed any changes?

Instagram @dutch_steel

It's mostly a security and maintenance upgrade. A major one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Japanese Metal Forum Painkiller 13 284 07-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Too Dark Park
  Forum & Thread Subscriptions Painkiller 0 87 04-22-2016, 06:50 PM
Last Post: Painkiller
  Forum Userbars Painkiller 0 228 04-28-2015, 02:59 AM
Last Post: Painkiller