Quick Search (Advanced)
Browse Bands: Heavy Metal | Speed/Power/Progressive Metal | Thrash Metal | Black Metal | Death Metal | Doom Metal | Miscellaneous

Cover Songs That Don't Suck
Most people frown upon bands that do cover songs, fearing they are only going to butcher them and ruin the experience for many unfortunate ears that stumbled upon them (Killswitch Engage's amazingly epic cover horrendous butchering of "Holy Diver" being one heck of a good example of good songs gone bad).

What are some bands out there that covered songs and made them sound as good as the originals, or actually better?

Off the top of my head, here are a few (and why):

Accept - "I'm a Rebel" (originally by AC/DC)

This song was originally composed by members of AC/DC sometime in early 1980 or 1981. I remember first finding this out on my own (because I really liked the song and the video that came with it) and was a bit shocked, but not surprised (Udo Dirkschneider was pretty much the rich man's version of Bon Scott), that this was actually written by the Australian plod-rockers! I've never been able to hear the AC/DC original, but given that most AC/DC songs sound very bland and repetitive (to me, at least), Accept's version likely kicks it out the door without a doubt in mind. It's pretty cool to see in the video Udo with long hair because he eventually cut it short and has remained that way ever since. The lyrics are cheesy, sure, but it's only rock 'n' roll man!

Chastain - "Barracuda" (originally by Heart)

"Barracuda" has always been one of those non-metal songs that I felt always had the potential to be turned into an ass-kicking HEAVY METAL anthem. And Chastain did JUST that: metal it the fuck up. Listen to how Leather Leone screams and wails throughout, and just how tight David T. Chastain's riffing sounds. It's pretty much the Heart version, but with more testosterone (and, yeah, some estrogen) to it. Love it.

Death - "God of Thunder" (originally by Kiss)

I'm not a Kiss fan, and never really was much into them. I do respect their influence in metal straight from the get-go, but I don't respect how bastardized they've become since the late 1970s, with all the marketing shit. But songs like "Strutter" were good stuff nonetheless — just not as good as "God of Thunder" which I admit has a very "metal" feel to it. Well, Chuck decided to cover this tune for his band, and his interpretation of it just slays. I mean this time around the vocals actually DO sound quite larger-than-life (unlike the original). The riffs come packed, repeatedly beating you to a pulp.

Exhorder - "Into the Void" (originally by Black Sabbath)

To be honest with you, I never really cared for the original. But thankfully, Exhorder actually made this song listenable for me, and not only does it stay true to the doom metal roots of Sabbath, they thrash it up with double bass drumming assaults and "barking"-type singing (yes, singing) that just gives it such a heavier twist (much like Chastain's cover of "Barracuda"). It sucks that not many people have heard this cover, because it's really good!

Judas Priest - "Diamonds and Rust" (originally by Joan Baez)

Where the Joan Baez version was a little softer and not very in-your-face, Judas Priest took this song and kicked it right up the ass, turning it into a heavy metal anthem that is still widely-heard to this day. It's the most popular song on Sin After Sin, and there was even an all-acoustic version of this cover! It's just so darn good I have to keep hearing it — I can't get enough of it.
Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
Some of my favorites:

Judas Priest - Green Manalishi (Fleetwood Mac)
Death - Painkiller (Judas Priest)
Celtic Frost - Mexican Radio (Wall of Voodoo)
Overkill - Sonic Reducer (Dead Boys)
Metallica - Stone Cold Crazy (Queen)
There are some great covers out there, like:
Riot - When I Was Young (Eric Burdon & The Animals)
Heir Apparent - The Sound of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel)
Judas Priest - Diamonds and Rust (Joan Baez), Better By You, Better Than Me (Spooky Tooth)
Tim Owens & Y.J. Malmsteen - Mr. Crowley

Check also this version of Warlord's "Black Mass" from a Greek band named InnerWish: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX-FuPMuFqI
Metallica did alot of awesome coversongs:
Turn The Page (Bob Seger),Die Die My Darling (Misfits),The Wait (Killing Joke) to name a few.

A couple of others that are kick ass:

Nevermore - Sound Of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uG7sd-YPmE
They made a whole new version of this song.

After Forever - The Evil That Men Do (Iron Maiden)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nHwaas84pI
Even with female vocals a song with balls.
Sodom's Tank covers are pretty rad! I especially enjoyed "Turn Your Head Around"!

I love sometimes metal songs that covers of popular songs from pop or something like that .
This guy 331Erock is my favorite for such things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0FkyYxOxQE

Just check him out and tell me what you guys think Big Grin
Erock's a dinosaur...marching..marching...Erock's a dinosaur...how did he get so fat?
Napalm Death - Messiah (Hellhammer cover)

Sounds more like if Hellhammer went into Punk territory. The intro was also from Celtic Frost song, Morbid Tales.
My band page:
Bloody Rage Bandcamp
Bloody Rage SoundCloud

My Band's Blog page:
Bloody Rage Main Site

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
This is a badass cover here, and to be honest, better then the original.

I think my all time favorite cover song is Type O Negative doing Black Sabbath. Probably sacrilege saying this, but I like it better than the original.

(12-29-2014, 04:20 PM)Wrecked Neck Wrote: I think my all time favorite cover song is Type O Negative doing Black Sabbath. Probably sacrilege saying this, but I like it better than the original.

I remember hearing that cover on a Sabbath tribute CD years ago and just being shocked. A great cover as they re-envisioned the song and made it their own. A rarity for most bands doing covers.
(12-29-2014, 10:12 PM)Phantasm Wrote: I remember hearing that cover on a Sabbath tribute CD years ago and just being shocked. A great cover as they re-envisioned the song and made it their own. A rarity for most bands doing covers.
I think that's what I like most about it. You can tell its black sabbath, but its so different that it sounds like another song altogether. I like cover tunes that stay true to the origin also, but if a band takes it and makes it their own without fucking it up, then that's cool too. My other favorite would be Diamonds and Rust,but someone already brought ut up lol

Glad to see someone else appreciates that Tygers of Pan Tang song. I can't say I really care for them at all after The Cage. They were a lot better on the first two or three albums.
(01-17-2015, 08:10 PM)Painkiller Wrote: Glad to see someone else appreciates that Tygers of Pan Tang song. I can't say I really care for them at all after The Cage. They were a lot better on the first two or three albums.

This song is their most melodic from their first 3 first albums , and very rock n' roll
I stumbled upon this one the past weekend:

I love the original and out of curiosity I clicked on the video and expected something completely different.It's Five Finger Death Punch,eh? Well,this cover just suprised me 100%! I like it alot.
Hmmm let's see:

Children of Bodom - Aces High (Originally by Iron Maiden)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK1lMfYX0zo

Iron Maiden - Women in Uniform (Originally by Skyhooks)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jkREP29170

Sonata Arctica - Still Loving You (Originally by Scorpions)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgpJPJ7MAZ0

Amon Amarth - Aerials (Originally by System of a Down)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy_6Z7tto2k

Dragonforce - Ring of Fire (Originally by Anita Carter)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8zU8paFops

Blind Guardian - Mr. Sandman (Originally by The Chordettes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq2LtmyjfLw
Tool doing No Quarter originally by the mighty zeppelin!

This one was always a good one I thought.

Nuther one for you black metal elitist fucks lol

Marduk doing bathorys In Conspiracy with Satan. Actually a great tribute album by a bunch of bands called In Conspiracy with Satan.

And one more then I'm done...kreator doing the venom song Witching Hour is badass! Hand

I like this.

Awesome raspberries cover! Hand
A cover of Nazareth's cover of "This Flight Tonight" by Joni Mitchell. Heavens Gate has a cover as well but I like this one most.

This cover of "Temple of the King" isn't too bad

Nifelheim - Reaper (Bathory cover)

Pretty close to the original if you ask me.
My band page:
Bloody Rage Bandcamp
Bloody Rage SoundCloud

My Band's Blog page:
Bloody Rage Main Site

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
I'll never know why they gave credit to The Beatles and Stones because the only thing that resembles the original is the name of the song, but don't mind it, I love this album but will never understand why they did that.

Nothing like The Beatles

One of the best Stones tunes but nothing like the original

Scorpions as the Hunters, covering two Sweet songs. I like how Klaus sings these in German.

"Yesterday" is the only song that I completely skip on that Grave Digger album, whereas everything else is sweet.
(07-30-2015, 04:27 PM)Painkiller Wrote: "Yesterday" is the only song that I completely skip on that Grave Digger album, whereas everything else is sweet.

That was fucking music mr.
I normally don't like Motorhead covers, but Sodom are one of the few bands I've ever seen actually pull it off!!!!

Stone Sour did an amazing job on Maiden's Running Free.It's worth a listen!

A lot of songs on this thing are pretty good but NM's Valhalla cover is nearly flawless

This one has always been a favorite of mine. Cant go wrong with Candlemass covering Black Sabbath. Love the flow of how they blended the different songs together. Only gripe is, it should gave been longer lol

Another decent cover by the band Wolf, covering one of my all time favorite songs by one of my all time favorite bands, A Dangerous Meeting.

I personally thought Mekong Deltas cover of "Dance on a Volcano" was so much better than the original. I really liked how they turned it into a more blissful sounding song.

Arch Enemys cover of Aces High was pretty good too, I personally really enjoyed Johan Liivas vocals and the time he spent with Arch Enemy much better than Angela Gossow or Alissa White-Gluz (Wish I could say the same about Children of Bodoms cover)

I also really liked Fleshgod Apocalypses cover of Heartwork by Carcass for the symphonic elements, probably the only time the symphonic elements worked on that album.

Surely there is more, but thats all I can think of off the top of my head.
I thought Opeth did a great job with this one.

And this one by Overkill could be here or my thread on favorite instrumentals. I like this one almost as well as the original. They nailed it IMO!

This vocal-only cover of Crimson Glory's "Masque of the Red Death" is so dead on. Midnight would be proud.

Not balls to the wall metal, but I love Jex Thoth. I've never bothered to check out the band they're covering here, but this cover song is a good balance of doomy and psychedelic vibes.

Pretty solid Terra Rosa covers. Not sure on the names of the bands, but they got so much of the originals down. I would've thought it was the original band.

Sanctuary (USA) - White Rabbit, Jefferson Airplane Cover

Sepultura - Orgasmatrom, Motörhead Cover

Metallica - Am I Evil? , Diamond Head Cover

Only Coroner could've pulled this off.

Another righteous cover.

This Stones cover takes this song to another level.

Apokalyptic Raids did a cool Discharge cover. Now Playing

My band page:
Bloody Rage Bandcamp
Bloody Rage SoundCloud

My Band's Blog page:
Bloody Rage Main Site

Spiral Architect - Prelude to Ruin
Deadly Blessing - Notorious (Lizzy Borden)
Steel Prophet - The Apparition
I've always loved this slammy cover of Mortician's Rabid by Katalepsy.

Very good covers posted so far, I'll try to remember some of my favorites:

I'll post more when I remember.
"There ain't no way to stop us
and you'll never kill our pride
'cause it's not only music
it's a chosen way of life!"

I always liked the original version of Frida.Jorn's version of I Know There's Something Going On is also pretty awesome!

Beside the great video the cover is way better than Elton John`s original

New Model Army cover:

The Beatles cover:

Rainbow cover:

Sombrance cover:

Tank cover:

"Divine mental biopsy reveals you need psycho surgery
The renewing of your mind by cosmic mirror"
I like the original of Simon & Garfunkel,hate the version of Disturbed and I just love what Nevermore did with Sound Of Silence.

About as good as the Van Halen original.

Hammerfall's rendition of Riot's Flight of the Warrior (Thundersteel) is absolutely badass with extra guitar harmonics and the flow of the vocals to add that Hammerfall flavour to a classic song. The more modern instruments (their sound) and production also helps by playing to its strength rather than over polishing it.

DeadHead did a hilarious thrash (still great) version of Saxon's Heavy Metal Thunder.Agent Steel did a good job aswell.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Create Your Own Album Cover! Painkiller 11 312 01-20-2017, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Heavy Thrashhead
  Tribute & Cover Bands Painkiller 3 436 02-25-2016, 08:38 AM
Last Post: HecTheWreck