Quick Search (Advanced)
Browse Bands: Heavy Metal | Speed/Power/Progressive Metal | Thrash Metal | Black Metal | Death Metal | Doom Metal | Miscellaneous

Concerto Moon / Norifumi Shima (JP)
Concerto Moon is a Japanese power metal band that formed in 1996. They've since released eleven albums, with Fragments of the Moon through Rain Forest being their most notable releases. There are also a handful of miscellaneous releases, including live albums and EPs.

With its nod to neoclassical metal, Concerto Moon was one of the first bands to spearhead the modern power metal sound that's now quite common these days in Japan. The same could be said about Galneryus.

For fans of Galneryus, Stratovarius, Yngwie J. Malmsteen, Double Dealer, Ark Storm, Anthem, and Precious.

Visit this user's website
Quote this message in a reply
I appreciate that he is being very professional about this. I hope Osamu Harada or Toshiyuki Koike will return.
Quote:Concerning the arrest coverage of CONCERTO MOON keyboardist Aki this time,
Thank you for all your inconveniences to our fans and all the stakeholders
I sincerely apologize from my heart.

We received this case heavily, as a result of discussions with members and staff,
Today I decided to dismiss Aki on February 10, 2017 (Friday).

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to our fans and all the stakeholders.

Also, the latest album that we are currently recording
And Shinjuku Wild Side Tokyo performance to be held on Sunday, April 16,
We will have support and keyboardists.

Thank you for your continued support in the future.

CONCERTO MOON
Shima Shima
Source
Excellent band! The first three albums with Takao Ozaki on vocals are essential. Fragments of the Moon is my favorite, the songs grabbed me right from the start, Rain Forest and From Father to Son aren't too far behind.

I got some more of their stuff lately. Life on the Wire is actually really cool. "It's Not Over" is pardoned for the Engrish, as it has a lot of great hooks. Takashi Inoue isn't that bad at singing.

"To Always Be Myself" is probably my personal favorite song off Gate of Triumph. I can't find an upload of that, so I'll throw in "To Die For". Some fast-paced stuff for good measure.

I need to give Gate of Triumph another spin sometime. I liked Takashi. Those rerecordings of "Take You to the Moon" and "Alone in Paradise" on there were great too. Perhaps when I have money to spend I'll pick up Life on the Wire, I still want Live Concerto as well.

It's a good album, albeit more on the instrumental side. "Everlasting Nightmare" is a great song, save for the really corny intro. Laugh

eBay has a copy of Life on the Wire listed, and the price isn't too bad, considering you're getting free shipping. Great seller, by the way. I've ordered three times already, and I didn't ask any of the said orders to be tracked, so just waiting at least three weeks in advance for delivery is all that's vital. Still, it's always a good idea to consider getting tracking information, especially if you order more than three CDs from Japan. I've never lost a single CD from there.

For Live Concerto, it seems that both the CD and the DVD complement each other on missing songs. I got the original 1997 CD pressing, which omits one song that would be included as part of the 2008 reissue. What I don't like about the 1999 live album is that very few songs are ever off the first two albums, with about five or six songs straight off Rain Forest. "Second War in Heaven" is one of the best Concerto Moon songs for me, without a doubt. It was originally a Crystal Clear song, as it was featured on Make It Shine Vol. 1.
Oh that intro was a total wtf moment when I heard it, but I agree, it's still a good album, I didn't feel the need to switch it out once.

Thanks, I'll consider getting that

Song deserved to be named after the band, as well as getting its own music video. Mind you, this is not the full version. Decade of the Moon has the full version and much more.

Walküre Records has revealed Concerto Moon's newest album as Tears of Messiah. It will be released in late October 2017, if all things go well. How very exciting that Masashi Okagaki will be guesting as keyboardist, too.

Google Translate results below:
Quote:CONCERTO MOON "TEARS OF MESSIAH"
Concerto Moon "Tears Of Messiah"
2017 October 25 (Wednesday) Release

[CD + DVD Deluxe Edition]
standard number: WLKR-028
sale price: tax 3,500 yen + tax

[Regular Edition]
standard number: WLKR-029
sale price: tax 3,000 yen + tax

<収録曲>
1. LIGHT IN THE SHADOW
2. NOAH’S ARK
3. TEARS OF MESSIAH
4. LIFT MY LIFE
5. STAY DOWN THERE
6. DREAMS ARE ALL GONE
7. RUNNING OUT OF TIME
8. DON’T WANNA CRY NO MORE
9. STICK IT OUT
10. TIME OF REVENGE

■ DVD contents will be recorded (Deluxe Edition only)
Islands KinoFumi guitar playing commentary lecture by
new commentary roundtable discussion by members all
etc.

CONCERTO MOON are
Osamushi Shima (Norifumi Shima) - Guitar
Atsushi Kuze (Atsushi Kuze) - Vocal
Shigeji Nakayasu (Shigeharu Nakayasu) - Bass
Atsushi Kawatsuka (Atsushi Kawatsuka) - Drums

Guest Musicians
Gang Yuan Masashi (Masashi Okagaki) - Keyboads
Source
(08-10-2017, 09:24 PM)Painkiller Wrote: Walküre Records has revealed Concerto Moon's newest album as Tears of Messiah. It will be released in late October 2017, if all things go well. How very exciting that Masashi Okagaki will be guesting as keyboardist, too.

Google Translate results below:
Source

Oh wow Concerto Moon new album on my birthday month out of all the month. I may consider getting it when it comes out. Cool
My band page:
Bloody Rage Bandcamp
Bloody Rage SoundCloud

My Band's Blog page:
Bloody Rage Main Site

Quote:Your priorities Are wrong. Your faith Is blind. Crush the weak Uphold the strong. Burn the brains Of mankind.
-Amebix - Fear Of God (1985)
Zenith and Crystal Clear songs, taken from Make It Shine Vol. 1 — seriously good stuff!

This is my favorite version of "Second War in Heaven". Taken from Live Concerto.

Just got Fragments of the Moon in the mail the other day and I've just given it a first spin, enjoyed it but I was a bit disappointed that the main riff from Hold On (To Feeling) appears to be stolen from M.S.G's - Desert Song.
Would post a comparison but I have no idea how to do this now with the forum update.
FinalShawn wrote:From that list, I chose Death...

Instagram @dutch_steel

(09-13-2017, 04:11 AM)Too Dark Park Wrote: Would post a comparison but I have no idea how to do this now with the forum update.
—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—-—--
You can still insert videos manually, I just tried it. For YouTube, insert the whole video link between this formula:

[video=youtube] [/video]

Here it is:

That's an interesting comparison. Apart from the key riffs being similar, the two songs are pretty much different from each other, especially during their interlude breaks.
(09-13-2017, 08:20 AM)Painkiller Wrote: Here it is:

That's an interesting comparison. Apart from the key riffs being similar, the two songs are pretty much different from each other, especially during their interlude breaks.

Yeah it's the key riffs that got me, like you say the songs are different enough, will require further listens.  Big Grin

Instagram @dutch_steel

The next two albums are also really good, and they're not too badly priced. I paid less than five dollars for my copy of Rain Forest, and I'd just bought another copy at the same price to replace the obi strip on mine, and then I'll resell it. Cool

There are multiple versions of the early Concerto Moon albums, since they had great European distribution in the late 1990s through the mid-2000s. The version of Fragments of the Moon that you got is the original one, and it has "Save My Own Life", which was omitted on all other versions. For From Father to Son, just get the original 1998 pressing — there's also a version of that pressing that's a digipak, which is unfortunately more common than the jewel case. For the sake of getting EP-exclusive bonuses "King of the Judas" and "Waltz for Masquerade", get the 2000 reissue of Rain Forest.

After those three albums, they had a vocalist switch, so you may or may not like the replacement as much as his predecessor. He's less operatic and more aggressive, but the verses are no longer written in Japanese. I'd recommend Life on the Wire, the self-titled 2004 EP, and After the Double Cross. From 2008 and onwards, they're not very memorable, although I'm hoping that Tears of Messiah is more of a throwback to the band's hungrier years. What excites me the most for this release is that Terra Rosa keyboardist Masashi Okagaki will be doing sessions with the band, so I'd like to check out samples when ready.
Concerto Moon is just about to start shooting a music video to promote the upcoming album. Check out the location picked. Interesting setting.
They just finished shooting. This still looks pretty enticing. Weird seeing them without a keyboardist, but whatever.
I'm almost done completing my Concerto Moon full-length album discography. Going to order their more recent outings, since those are usually pretty expensive and hard to find used at a steal.

Fortunately, some kind souls have uploaded a couple of the recent albums' songs to YouTube. Angel of Chaos, Savior Never Cry, and Black Flame are all really good, and actually exceeded my expectations. The only album that I'm not so big on is Rise from Ashes, but that's only because of Takashi Inoue's vocals just not being in top shape at that time, although he got good again on Angel of Chaos. I still prefer him most on After the Double Cross, as the songs stick out far more to me. I definitely like Screaming Symphony's Atsushi Kuze more than Inoue, since he's not as abrasive as his predecessor, and sounds a little closer to Takao Ozaki's range, although all three are quite different in style.

Anyway, here are some of the playlists I'd like to share. Keep in mind that Black Flame's playlist is incomplete, and I couldn't find any of the missing songs, but man, that title track is just infectious! If there's one thing that you can't doubt about this band, whether you like them or not, is consistency. I'm so pumped up for a new album. These guys are my absolute favorite Japanese band, ever, on the same level as Anthem.

Up until now I still hadn't listened to anything past Life on the Wire but right now I'm playing Savior Never Cry. This is pretty good, I like the songs and Atsushi's vocals, though different from his predecessors, fit the band well enough. Looking forward to the new album.

After the Double Cross is highly recommended, too. All songs off the album are uploaded to YouTube, although no one has put together a playlist for them there. "30min. in the Darkness", "The Gladiator", and "Find the Key" are some of the best ones.

This, too, is also fucking killer!

Man, the more I listen to this band, the more I realize they are everything I could ever want in my power metal, and then some. They have a very varied, consistent discography, which puts them far above and beyond many of their peers. Ark Storm, Kelly Simonz's Blind Faith, Galneryus, and Versailles are nowhere near the excellence of this band for me. Norifumi Shima also has some of the cleanest-picked riffing techniques, making his music sound quite organic and flowing smoothly. I'll always prefer the early days of the band's sound in terms of maximum enjoyment, but they've really moderned themselves without sounding plastic whatsoever.
I just got finished ripping two more of my Concerto Moon DVDs. Not sure why it took me this long to get around to them, but I'm just sick of the copy-protected bullshit, on top of not being able to play the originals on any of my players. Not going to buy a region-free one to compensate, so ripping the originals and burning onto DVD-Rs is the way to go. I like to keep the discs in small paper sleeves, tucked inside their respective cases.

Live: Once in a Life Time and Live from Ashes: Concerto Moon 10th Anniversary Rise from Ashes Tour are my next Concerto Moon videos to get, and then I'll be even closer to completing their discography. The latter actually has a set dedicated to Fragments of the Moon, which means that "Cry for Freedom" and "Over the Century" officially got their live cherries popped. Too bad that "Save My Own Life" didn't get added to the set.
Trailer is released! I'm already sold.

Bit of nostalgia going on here...

I hope "Save My Own Life" resurfaces. It's such an awesome song.
It's still weird they excluded "Save My Own Life" from the other pressings of Fragments of the Moon. But then again it's even weirder that they would replace the original album art.

I very rarely do this but I just pre-ordered the new album!  I'm going to be getting the deluxe version.

It might've been an issue with rights. Only Takao Ozaki and Osamu Harada were credited as the song's writers. Might've also been a song from the Zenith days, but then again, "The Last Betting" has never been omitted.

I also have a pet peeve with seeing the ugly red album cover replace it on subsequent reissues, but that's probably a label thing in relation to the switch from Mandrake Root Records to Vap. I often notice that there are incorrect years for the early releases, due to the European pressings being released a year or two later after the originals hit the shelves in Japan. For example, I've seen Fragments of the Moon listed as the band's second album, released in 1998, whereas Rain Forest is either 2000 or 2001. The live album is another one that I see as a release from the early 2000s, which is just not true — it was released in late 1999, just as the band's tour for Rain Forest had wrapped up. Afterwards, though, the release years are consistent.

It's interesting to me how these guys were discovered by Europeans as early as the late 1990s, though. Could've had something to do with their noteworthy Japanese tours in support of Stratovarius, so I think they were considered the perfect Asian counterpart to them and Yngwie J. Malmsteen, although I'm starting to realize that Concerto Moon is way too varied musically to be directly compared to either of those bands. They've always had a very jam-heavy hard rock leaning, similar to Deep Purple and Rainbow. That makes more sense to me now than comparing them to contemporary European power metal of those days. Galneryus, Ark Storm, and Versailles have more in common with those bands than Concerto Moon does.
Enjoy this, Too Dark Park and BeyondOsiris!

Here's "Save My Own Life", a song composed by Osamu Harada that never saw the light of day after the first edition of the band's debut album. According to TadakatsuH0nda's comment, that actually confirms my suspicions as to why it wasn't reused. I could tell it was a rights issue, so chances are that Concerto Moon may never be able to even play that song live anymore. I know that Harada has been getting back into music after twenty years of silence, but he hasn't said much via social media. I should really try to hit him up again.

Also, the two Zenith sets that were meticulously merged, and now they're fully convenient to watch. Good fucking stuff, even if I didn't care for the Rainbow cover. "Endless Journey", "The Shadows of Rainbow", and "Breaking the Darkness" are just god-tier in terms of melodical supremacy. Fuck, that's EXACTLY what I want to hear in my heavy/power metal.

Just...fucking sweet stuff right there. I really want to hear that Zenith demo for good. I can't find even a shitty, half-assed rip anywhere.
It is my first time listening to Concerto Moon....
(10-15-2017, 10:03 PM)Painkiller Wrote: Here's "Save My Own Life", a song composed by Osamu Harada that never saw the light of day after the first edition of the band's debut album. According to TadakatsuH0nda's comment, that actually confirms my suspicions as to why it wasn't reused. I could tell it was a rights issue, so chances are that Concerto Moon may never be able to even play that song live anymore. I know that Harada has been getting back into music after twenty years of silence, but he hasn't said much via social media. I should really try to hit him up again.

I like this song (sounds oldschool),thanks for post.
Smile
Glad to see another one converted. Laugh

If you want to get their CDs, you can find them usually quite cheap, depending on the pressing. The original 1997 Mandrake Root Records release of Fragments of the Moon is the only one in existence that has the song that you were listening to. I bought it off the Wild One record store at just twelve dollars in mint condition and with its obi strip. I, too, was pretty dumbfounded at how genuinely traditional the entire album had sounded. I remember curiously looking up "Alone in Paradise" to see what the band was all about, and I was completely floored. It reminded me so much of Riot's Thundersteel.

Anyway, yeah, the band's discography is stupidly consistent, although be forewarned that they switched vocalists in 2000 and 2010, so you may not like one era as much as the other.

Don't forget that they're releasing a new album soon, and it's back to the old school sound. Give that one a shot.
(10-15-2017, 07:18 PM)Painkiller Wrote: Enjoy this, Too Dark Park and BeyondOsiris!

f

This is great stuff I'm about half way through right now Now Playing
MSG is a big influence on early Concerto Moon and this gets clearer to me with repeated listens imo.

Instagram @dutch_steel

Right on. "Change My Heart" bangs so hard on that one. It was one of their very first songs.

I got a rip of another DVD of theirs, which includes perhaps the earliest Concerto Moon footage caught on tape from 1996, but it's only one song, and that's "Unstill Night".