Quick Search (Advanced)
Browse Bands: Heavy Metal | Speed/Power/Progressive Metal | Thrash Metal | Black Metal | Death Metal | Doom Metal | Miscellaneous

Quick Reply  Post Reply 
Amazon.com Discogs eBay YouTube

Let's Put Together Our Top Thrash Metal Albums List!

06-25-2017, 08:12 PM
So, as I've brought it up in another thread, I was thinking how cool it would be for the active community to put together an official list of their all-time favorite metal albums, but with a twist: we'll do them by genre!

So, thrash metal would probably be the easiest one for us to start off with, since it blends in with both fans of traditional metal and extreme metal.

The idea is to message me your nominations. Feel free to nominate as many as you'd like. The more that the same album is picked, the higher that it will rank. If there are many ties, I'll ask everyone who's participated so far to narrow down the selected portions to the ones that they like the most. That way, we can generate a truly coherent list.

Afterwards, the ones who've participated on the project so far will get to choose albums on the list to elaborate on. We'll be laid back with how many you're allowed to weigh in on, but at least ten albums would do the trick. You'll see your username associated with the entry. The actual list itself will not be present as a forum thread, but as a separate article within the forums.

Keep in mind that we will not be counting live albums, compilation albums, EPs, or demos as part of our list. Only full-length albums will be accepted. Thrash metal albums that border on black metal or death metal will still be accepted, though. Groove metal albums will NOT be accepted, although the likes of Exhorder will be.

There will be a blacklist on certain bands from appearing on the thrash metal list, but I'll keep that amount as low as possible. Those bands are Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax. This has nothing to do with quality, but to give other bands in the genre a fair shake. Sodom, Kreator, Vio-lence, Testament, Dark Angel, and the rest will still be applicable choices.

I will also do the same with our upcoming heavy metal list by blacklisting Motörhead, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath. Once again, nothing to do with how good they are, but those are the most predictable names in the genre, and that's my set guideline on balancing things out for bands that aren't as known. You'll still be able to cast in your votes for Rainbow, Deep Purple, Riot, Accept, and many other mainstream heavy metal bands. Just not those aforementioned four bands. It will also be acknowledged when published, so other bands will get to rank higher.

The whole point of why this forum exists in the first place is to discuss bands in the underground, because there are more than enough avenues for mainstream ones.

That's all that I have to announce for now, so feel free to send me your picks, regardless of order. I will tally them up and keep getting back to you until we can generate a solid, thorough list.

Leave your feedback on this idea below. I'd be happy to elaborate some more. Hand

Forum Rules | Country Abbreviations Reference | Bandcamp & SoundCloud Codes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2017, 09:40 PM
I'm all for this idea. but having people weigh in on with only Ten albums is a bit limiting. i think 20 would be most. cause if this is going to focus on underground bands and few lesser picked mainstream bands. there is no way that giving out different Ten album lists will even cut it. everyone is gonna be thinking about different albums with about some of the same titles being there.

just my two cents.

Quote:Juiceman (Dopeman that's my shit) to be a dopeman you gotta qualify don't get high off ya own supply

http://nastyme*eel.com/
X-Morta/Bandcamp.com
NastyMetalProdcuctions/YouTubeChannel
HeavyThrashhed/Soundcloud.com
06-25-2017, 09:43 PM
I meant to narrow down the selections that they enjoyed the most for me to tally up the rankings of the albums. It's going to be a joint effort. We will be featuring one hundred albums per list. The albums that are tallied up the most will rank higher.

Sorry for the confusion!

06-25-2017, 09:49 PM
Yay Tongue I loved this idea since you first proposed it. In fact that awful RS list made me wanna make my own, I will do it anyway and publish it on another website. However a community list is more fun to do, and I'm curious to know how it will end up Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
06-25-2017, 09:52 PM
GREAT idea; when are the submissions due by? This will take some thought.
06-25-2017, 09:58 PM
It depends on how much free time I'll have and how many people are interested.

I would just say to start making your lists and sending them over to me, regardless of order. I will then tally them up. If not many people will be participating, then we could narrow it down to twenty albums. That's not a problem. Quality over quantity.

06-25-2017, 10:00 PM
Ok cool, and should it be limited to a certain number of albums per artist, or does that not matter? I'm assuming that wouldn't really matter in a list like this, but just making sure.
06-25-2017, 10:02 PM
Feel free to think up as many as you'd like. I'll just tally up the ones that got the most mentions and go with those.

06-26-2017, 08:14 AM
I like the idea! I wanna participate in this.

06-26-2017, 03:23 PM
It won't be an easy task, but I'll try!

"There ain't no way to stop us
and you'll never kill our pride
'cause it's not only music
it's a chosen way of life!"
06-26-2017, 04:37 PM
I'll do it. But I agree it should be 20...maybe even 25. That way people won't feel so constricted and feel like they're leaving out favorites AND we can easily get to 100.

FINAL SIGN - US Power Metal
06-26-2017, 07:48 PM
Sure thing. I'll weed out the kinks and refine them. If an album is mentioned more than once, then chances are that it will be listed. We'll see. There are no limits to what you can send me, by the way.

06-27-2017, 07:04 AM
Will pm a list later this week.

Malevolence Records
06-27-2017, 11:47 AM
So, this will be via PM then?

06-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Yeah, send them all to me. I'll tally them up.

06-27-2017, 03:56 PM
Awesome idea, and I'm definitely in! One question: Crossover, yes or no? I like a ton of "proper" thrash, but my thrash tastes lean pretty heavily on the hardcore side of things...
06-27-2017, 07:37 PM
That one is also fine, provided that bands are thrashy enough for the genre hybrid. For example, Exhorder is totally fine by me, despite being also groove metal.

Got a couple of lists in, so thanks for that. Headbanger

Setting the deadline by next Friday. When that day comes, I'll merge all of the lists and refine them further.

06-30-2017, 03:45 PM
I'll send you my list tonight, I promise!

06-30-2017, 09:03 PM
I'll jump in on this too. Is there a time frame for what you can nominate? There are some more contemporary albums that qualify on my list, so I don't want to throw anything in the mix that falls outside of the focus.
06-30-2017, 09:21 PM
Next week. Just send the list over to me. Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax are prohibited nominees. Thanks.

06-30-2017, 09:29 PM (This post was last modified: 06-30-2017 09:47 PM by Keeper.)
(06-30-2017 09:21 PM)Painkiller Wrote:  Next week. Just send the list over to me. Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, and Anthrax are prohibited nominees. Thanks.
Haha, are you serious about those bands, or was just a joke?

Oops, sorry, I didn't notice you saying that on the first post. Disappointed

06-30-2017, 10:21 PM
Hey, Keeper, no worries! Wink

I will apply this rule to the other lists, too. Nothing to do with how good OR bad they are, but that they are too usually predictable, and would steal the spotlight from other albums just as deserving, if not more.

Thanks!

06-30-2017, 10:30 PM
Ok, I get it! Smile

06-30-2017, 10:33 PM
It will be a very interesting list. From my end, there is a LOT of diversity already, and I've just been reminded how GOOD thrash metal used to be. Upon merging all lists at this point, it will be a very nifty article.

The more that a particular album is listed, the higher that it will rank above the rest.

06-30-2017, 10:48 PM
I tried to add a nice number of brazilian bands, so people can see that there were more than just Sepultura making thrash here during the '80s.

07-04-2017, 11:35 PM
Friday is the deadline for any more lists!

07-04-2017, 11:37 PM
How many lists have you gotten so far?
07-04-2017, 11:40 PM
I believe about several at this point. Feel free to submit more entries. I'm only tallying things up via the master list, which makes it easier for me to rank them by demand. I'll probably have to randomize ties. The top ones are the most important to accurately organize.

07-05-2017, 01:30 AM
Interesting, I PMed you my list!!
07-07-2017, 12:43 AM
Last call for any more lists! Once Saturday hits, I'll be merging them and tallying them up. Unconfirmed on when the master list will be ready, but I'll let all participants know as soon as possible. Headbanger

07-07-2017, 04:24 PM
I may try and get a few tonight, it's just going to be a quick list. I been so busy with other stuff, and offline, and been sick, etc. If I don't, can't wait to see what everyone picks.
07-08-2017, 05:02 PM
Looking forward to seeing the results!
07-08-2017, 07:37 PM
I'll be working on merging the lists now. As of this post, I won't be accepting any more lists in thrash metal.

I'm brainstorming on the possibility of honorable mentions, if there are multiple nominations that didn't rank as high. We'll see.

07-12-2017, 11:33 AM
I've already put together the full list. Wait for a few messages in the next couple of days...

07-12-2017, 06:10 PM
Great! Very curious to read it.
07-13-2017, 03:04 PM
Me too, I wonder how many of my albums will be on the list!

07-13-2017, 06:50 PM
Now Playing Looking forward to it

Quick Reply  Post Reply 

User(s) Browsing Thread: 1 Guest(s)

This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.